How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33523
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I left my husband due to domestic violence, I had a joint tenceny

This answer was rated:

I left my husband due to domestic violence, I had a joint tenceny with the council. I went to them for help and they gave me nums for a womens refused , they took me in and rehoused in another city. six ago I applied to move back so I could be with family and the council told me that I have a county court judgument for £2000 for rent arrears.they asked me to show them proof that I was living there, which I did, I gave them a copy of the letter from the refuge I stayed in which was dated and explain that they could also check with my council and they would confirm that ive lived here for 3 years. since ive done this nobody will return my calls or emails.
please could you tell me if I can get this over turn.
yours martina cooper
Martina,Let me try and help. This is something which can and should be resolved. The LA can set aside the judgment on the basis of agreeing an order. The fact that they advised you to leave and helped source somewhere for you to go and thereafter you would not have received details of the judgment proceedings all work in your favour. You can either apply to the court to get the judgment set aside using a form N244 - or and I would do this first (sooner rather than later) - I would get your local MP to speak to the LA on your behalf to basically put pressure on this being resolved. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so does this mean that I can get it removed? the letter I gave to the council also stated that the police DVU was involed . when I was past from department too department I was informed that there were no rent arrears when I left and they do have it on there computer that I attend the council for help.

I would imagine that the rent arrears came after you left as you were a joint tenant. This way you can potentially get it removed. I hope this helps. Please rate positive
I hope this helps - but please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what is la ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry one more thing, what does la stand from and which courts do I go to the courts were I live or the courts were the county court judgement is.

LA stands for Local Authority. Where the judgment is held.