How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3839
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My business partner altered a copy of a meeting an told me

This answer was rated:

My business partner altered a copy of a meeting an told me the accountant needed a copy and I signed it without looking at it. It now said he was to be a director, he then took £60, 000 of goods from the company. Not knowing the minutes made him a director in law I sued him on behalf of the company after a lot of expense with solicitors I found out what he had done and had to sign a legal document to drop all my claims and each pay there own costs. Can anything be done about this fraudster.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
You may be able to sue him for the £60k in goods if he took these unlawfully. However fraud as a civil claim if very hard to prove. If you have evidence of a fraud you should just make a police complaint.
Did he change the document after you signed it? Have you left the company since?
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am closing that company soon and have stopped trading.He altered the documents before I signed but did not tell me I have a tape recording of him bragging how he did it. My solicitors said I could not use it in court. He he took the good fraudulently and can prove that.

Thank you.
Is he a shareholder of the company?
You cant use the recording in court, but you could use it to make a witness statement. You would need special permission to use the recording in court.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He was a share holder at the time.He tried to justify taking the goods as additional wages but we had an agreement stating equal shares in every thing he did not pay tax or vat on the goods.

Hi, Thank you. Once the company is dissolved you will lose this claim. Have you registered this £60k hole in the company accounts? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The company accountant was aware of the situation and the fraudulent minutes he put most of the money down as bad dept owed by my ex-partner.the company is not closed yet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I think Alex may have gone for lunch or gone home I an still waiting
Thank you my apologies I am still here I have been in a meeting.
If the accountant put it down as bad debt has it been written off?
If this is acknowledged as a debt owing to the company why dont you sue him?
Kind regards