How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the Chairman of a Parish Council am accused by default

This answer was rated:

I am the Chairman of a Parish Council am accused by default of lying to the public and Council by a fellow Councillor. The Councillors code of conduct has no sanctions or teeth.
I need to find an effective way of stopping this Councillor from continually denigrating the
other members of the Council.
Defamation of Character action is too costly to consider. Is there any other route my council can take
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Sadly no. All you can do is sue under the Defamation Act 2013 but then you need to show serious harm and also issue High Court proceedings. As you say this is very costly.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you