How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I'm asking on behalf of my parents - they employed a 'builder'

This answer was rated:

I'm asking on behalf of my parents - they employed a 'builder' in 1985 to carry out some work on their roof. He did but my father felt the work was sub-standard and asked the advice of a separate surveyor who agreed (in writing) that the work was shoddy. My father then asked someone else to finish off the work. In the meantime, the original builder was demanding settlement of his invoice for £325.00, but my father said he would not pay because of the poor workmanship. Now, 30 years later this builder (who lives in the same village as my parents) has written a threatening letter to them demanding payment or action if bailiffs.
Please advise.
C Maltby
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
He has no chance. He has 6 years under the Limitation Act 1980 to bring a claim. This means he had until 1991. It is now time barred. This is an absolute defence - its just too late.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, my concern is that he is an unstable character and might become violent. Surely he must appreciate that he no longer has a valid claim, and, if so, how do we ensure he backs off and stops frightening my parents.
If that happens you should report it to the Police. This could be harassment, so report it.
Do you have a number we can chat on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course : 01962 779614
Calling now.