How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Someone owes me £67,000 he lives in a house with £300k equity

This answer was rated:

Someone owes me £67,000 he lives in a house with £300k equity but the deeds are in his wifes name can we apply for bankrupty proceeding against him as he boasts that he is entitled to half the equity but we can take any action as its in his wifes name?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Is it 100% in wife's name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and is this response free or are you going to charge again ?
Its a one off fee.
Its bad news, you can make them bankrupt if its £5000 or more, that is no problem. But you can't go after the wife. The Official Receiver may investigate whether or not any transfer from him to the wife was tainted in any way.
But you can go after the person and make them bankrupt. The OR will then go very thoroughly into any assets and house transfers.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We don't want to go after the wife, but does he have any rights to equity in the property if it is in the wife's sole name?
Thank you
He may do depending if he has paid any of the mortgage etc.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you yes he does pay the mortgage. Thank you for your advice/informationsFiona
Good luck Fiona.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok - please remember to click the happy face!
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you