How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50199
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had a complete new bathroom fitted by a company called

This answer was rated:

i had a complete new bathroom fitted by a company called bathesafely po box 5356 Stratford upon Avon CV37 11D i have tried to contact them several times by email and by phoning them but as yet i have had no reply and i need to have a repair carried out to the toilet. i paid the amount of £10500.00 by credit card on the 14/8/2013 and after it was fitted i had to get them out once to repair the seal on the bath (it is a walk in bath with shower and the toilet is a bidet type plus several other features) i would very much appreciate it if you could give me some advice on this contact details are email xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or my home phone number is ***** .I thank you for your advice and concern yours faithfully Mr RAITH XXXXXXXX

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know if they are still trading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi BEN thank you for contacting me so quickly i have tried every way i know to contact them but i have had no reply at all,i have also tried to contact other companies but had no luck yet

OK, well when you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the law says that the work must be:
• Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);
• Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and
• Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).
If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:
1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.
2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.
3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.
In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that you follow these steps:
1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. estimate, contract, correspondence, etc.).
2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to return to fix the issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is reasonable).
3. In the meantime find out if the trader is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve your complaint.
4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses.
5. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could potentially get a different trader to complete the work and consider suing the original trader for all or part of these extra costs. Remember that court is your last resort, however it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.
6. Finally, make sure that you send all correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies.
If you wish to take the matter further and issue legal proceedings, assuming you will just be claiming financial compensation, you may issue your claim via the Court’s online portal at
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you