How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My niece has obtained a decree nisi to date using an expensive

This answer was rated:

My niece has obtained a decree nisi to date using an expensive solicitor but her financial situation means she cannot afford to use them any more to follow through her and 2 daughters financial needs through the courts.
The real problem is the value of her husbands business as he says it is worth nothing but in 2012/13 it showed profits of £100,000 plus
There are three heavily mortgaged properties where values can be easily determined but she need a sizeable lump sum and or regular annual payments to lead a stable family life.
Would it be viable for me to represent her using a less costly solicitor just to ensure we cover legal requirements please?
Dusty Miller
Hello Dusty
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Your niece is able to transfer her case to any solicitor that she likes.
As long as her current solicitors are fully paid up - then they will have to transfer her file to any new solicitor that she requests.
Whilst the instructions in respect of the case to a solicitor - will have to come from your niece - it is possible for you to be able to assist your niece with her legal fees. Any body can pay someone's elses bills for them. Given the nature of the case involves finances - the law firm may also ask for proof of your identity.
It is well accepted that not everybody can afford legal representation, especially since the revocation of legal aid. It is possible for your daughter to act as a litigant in person in the current proceedings (representing herself).
You could if you wished too - assist your niece at court by acting as her McKenzie friend. This means that you will be able to help your niece with her court papers and you will be able to accompany her at court - but you cannot address the court directly during a hearing.
If your niece has also suffered physical, emotional or financial abuse from her ex in the past - and she can get domestic violence evidence to prove the same as well as qualifying in respect of her means - then she may be able to get legal aid and a solicitor to assist. Please tell me if you consider this may apply to your niece and I will provide you with further information.
If the case is not yet at court - then this matter should be referred to mediation. Mediation can help with full disclosure and negotiations in respect of settlement. Solicitors are not required at mediation.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively. We receive no credit for our work unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have signed up for unlimited monthly questions so will be back for more in due course
Thank you for your positive rating - glad I could help and will be happy to assist you in the futur
Kind regards