How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
This answer was rated:

I was born in New York USA in 1946 and came to London with

my family when I was... Show More
my family when I was 7. My mother and her sisters had lived and worked in England during the war but my mother met my father here and went to American to marry him. I have lived and worked here legally, own my own property and have a full state pension. I still have an American passport but have only visited the US 3 times and would like to relinquish my Amercan passport and apply for a British one. I was married to an Englishman (deceased). What would be the best way to go about this.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
What visa do you currently have for the UK as you say that you have been living here legally?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Good morning

When I finished college I applied to the Home Office for a work permit, but was informed that it was not necessary as I had lived in England since a small child, was educated here and planned to live here permanently. I have now been here for 62 years and would very much like to be able to vote. I presume, if I was naturalized, I would be able to do so. So my question is, what would be the simplest way of achieving this that would also not be too expensive?

I look forward to your response

Thank you.
As you are over 65 years, you do not need to take the Life in the UK test which is usually required for all naturalisation applicants.
You have to apply for naturalisation using form AN, the application form and fees payable are set out here
You will also have to submit your biometrics.
All the best