How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10949
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Therethere is a 15 year old born in britain and leaving

Customer Question

hi there
there is a 15 year old born in britain and leaving abroad
Is he got any rights to become a british citizen and if so when?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Can you tell me the nationality of each of the parents? Do either of them have UK citizenship? Did they have UK citizenship at the time of the birth of the 15 year old in Britain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Their nationality is Albanian and they live in Albania but they have been here from 1999 -2003
Their son was born here in 2000 and than 2003 home office deported them to Albania
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. The only basis on which this child could not obtain British citizenship is if one of his parents joined the British armed forces, or else obtained the right to permanent residence in the UK before the child is 18. Being born in the Uk does not of itself confer citizenship. Here, the fact the parents were not in possession of citizenship themselves or the right of settlement in the UK (permanent residence) meant that the child did not acquire citizenship at birth. If the child had spent the first ten years of their life in the UK then they would be entitled to citizenship. However, as the child is now 15, there are only two routes open to the child to obtain citizenship - if one of his parents join the British armed forces, or else, if one of his parents now acquire permanent residence in the UK. Both would entitle the child to citizenship.