How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can I legally leave a property that I have rented if the gas

This answer was rated:

Can I legally leave a property that I have rented if the gas safety check failed and the boiler was deemed unsafe? I moved in 2 weeks ago and paid 12,500 pounds in advance rent. My landlord has already refused to remedy damp works that I discovered when I moved in. I feel unsafe in this property and want to leave but will I be entitled to get my rent and deposit back?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
When did you move in? Is the landlord repairing or replacing it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved in on 16th October. The landlord has not said if they will rectify the issue. According to the gas inspector, the job is a huge one. I doubt very much that the landlord will agree to do the necessary work, as I asked him to fix the damp problem and have not had a response. If he does not do the work to fix the gas problem, am I within my rights to leave and get my money back? Thank you so much for your help.
Ok. In that case yes you can cancel. This is because you can't use an unsafe boiler and the landlord has to provide hot water and heating.
So yes you can cancel this is it is breach of contract.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The landlord is getting a quote to have the flue fixed - it will be weeks before we have hot water. What are my rights please? Can I end the tenancy? Thank you
Yes you can end because its not done. The law says you MUST have hot water and heating.