How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A took his Computer Laptop the shopkeeper accepted

Customer Question

A took his Computer Laptop for repair
B the shopkeeper accepted and charged £35 for his service
B promised to get it done in the afternoon on the day
A returned to collect the computer Laptop
B refused to give back the original laptop, instead gave back a smaller notebook version
A protested but B the shopkeeper has stolen A's computer.
A got frustrated and called 999 but Police refused to intervene
A went into the local Police Station after 3 days to complain officially.
C Police refused to retain the given Notebook as Exhibit, instead advised A to keep it.
A made contact with the Trading Standard Agency who advised A to write to the Shop
C Police investigated the shopkeeper and discovered a cctv evidence
C Police has yet to charge the Shopkeeper after 3 months.
What are the legal angles? What steps open for criminal and civil matters??
What quick remedies are open to A in order to get his computer Laptop back and compensation???
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy yo help you today. I would recommend a telephone call to discuss this further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are the required information lists?

Would the telephone charges be in addition to or without the £47 proposed if by a written response.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know what further information you required which cannot be written as I have no voice to speak at all. perhaps you would understand me as a "Disabled" person. Regards.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What are you hoping the police will do about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are you hoping the police will do about this?


1) The police should release a copy of the CCTV seized from the Shop

2) The police should give the full statements made by the three men at the shop

3) The police must surrender a copy of the investigations outcome

4) The police must release their intentions at prosecution over this case

5) The police must show if they have secured the computer from the shop

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
The police are only under an obligation to do anything at all if they are of the view that there is sufficient evidence that a crime has been committed. One possible reading here is that this is a civil dispute.
In any event, they would never hand over this information to a complainant. That is not their duty and, indeed, they have a positive duty not to do so.