Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister

I paid a deposit of £2,000 to reserve a flat. I subsequently

I paid a deposit of £2,000 to reserve a flat. I subsequently decided not to proceed because of damp in the basement. The agreement I signed states that 'If the purchaser cancels the reservation or the matter does not proceed for any reason, then the deposit will be returned, less any abortive costs incurred by the Vendor in processing and holding the reservation, including legal fees'. I have asked the estate agent for a refund but he flately refuses. My solicitor has also written to the agent and the developer with no response. What do you suggest I do next?
Ray Hubbard
On the basis of the clause you are entitled to your money back - your solicitor will have written formally for the money back - if it is not returned then you would normally take them to the small claims court to get the money owed to you - this can be done online at Happy to discuss - please rate positive