How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33373
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I paid a deposit of £2,000 to reserve a flat. I subsequently

This answer was rated:

I paid a deposit of £2,000 to reserve a flat. I subsequently decided not to proceed because of damp in the basement. The agreement I signed states that 'If the purchaser cancels the reservation or the matter does not proceed for any reason, then the deposit will be returned, less any abortive costs incurred by the Vendor in processing and holding the reservation, including legal fees'. I have asked the estate agent for a refund but he flately refuses. My solicitor has also written to the agent and the developer with no response. What do you suggest I do next?
Ray Hubbard
On the basis of the clause you are entitled to your money back - your solicitor will have written formally for the money back - if it is not returned then you would normally take them to the small claims court to get the money owed to you - this can be done online at Happy to discuss - please rate positive
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you