How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1439
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Currently in the early stages of petitioning Whilst I lived with my wife in

This answer was rated:

Currently in the early stages of petitioning for divorce
Whilst I lived with my wife in her house for the last 3 years (I was not on the electoral register), I did have bills etc. at the address.
Up until 2 days ago I did pay the rates and electricity and a proportion of food bills.
My wide has now denied me access to the property by double bolt and chain locking the front door on the inside and using the rear door, to which I do not have a key
Am I entitled to gain access (without force) to the property to remove my private and personal possession, without a Police Officer being present (as requested by her)
Please advise
John S
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
If the home is your matrimonial home then you actually have a right to reside at the property despite the property not being in your name.
Do you want to reside in the property or else you living elsewhere?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not want to live at the property, I am currently lodging with a female friend (Lodger in my Buy to Let Property)

I am planning to leave the property for good by the end of December 2015 as per my agreement with my wife.

We are looking for a clean break, each being responsible for own debts, we each have separate assets which we intend to keep.

I want reasonable access to remove agreed goods and personal possessions, between the hours at 7:00am and 6:00pm as per her request.

The question of the police being present is to put me off!

Many thanks

John Shutler

Hello John
Thank you for confirming your position for me.
The question of the police being present is also a safeguard for you too. The police can verify that you haven't taken anything from the property that is your wife's and they can also confirm that no incident has occurred. If the police have the capacity to help - then this can actually safeguard you.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you or assist you further.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you