How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I have paid £350 deposit course in using a power saw.

This answer was rated:

I have paid £350 deposit for a course in using a power saw. I am unable to do the course now and the individuals running the course are refusing to refund deposit. Are they entitled to do this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Why are you unable to do the course and were you sent a contract at the time you paid the deposit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Course not now needed and no contract sent at time of payment
How did you pay the deposit and how long later did you change your mind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bank transfer and deposit paid less than two weeks ago
Did you pay online or over the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on line
Ok normally deposits are stated to be non refundable. If this is not the case and you have decided not to do the course then they should refund. This was why I asked you about whether they have sent a contract.
In addition you should have been told about the effect of the Distance Selling Regulations and the right to cancel within 7 days. If you were not told about this then you have a statutory right to ask for the money to be refunded as the protection of the regulations will be deemed to be extended.
I would suggest you give them 7 days to provide a full refund citing the above reasons and state that if they do not you will bring a claim.
You can do so online at
All the best with this.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet taken the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you