How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother and step father own a property .My mum is in a care

This answer was rated:

My mother and step father own a property .My mum is in a care home where her fees are pad due to her having a CHC status.My step father has been ill and is now going into a residential home where he will be a fee payer and will have to sell the property .My question is will my mothers half share of the property be safe guarded agaist a claim for his care home fees or is the capital split and she can keep her half .
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
If the property is sold then your mother's share will be allocated to her and will not be at risk
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for your answer .Does this apply to their joint investment and joint current account balance ?would it be wise to seperate the money in two different accounts one in each name .

Yes it does - but it would be better to split them sooner rather than later
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you