How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My triplet sons were born in Greece 2012. Their mother is Bulgarian.

This answer was rated:

My triplet sons were born in Greece 2012. Their mother is Bulgarian. We are not married. I am a British citizen but was born in Aden when it was a Protectorate as my mother was with the RAF at the time. We are returning to the UK to live as I near retirement from work in the Middle East. What are the requirements needed to get my boys British citizenship? Thanks in advance for any advice.
1. Once you live three years in the UK with your triplet sons, then they become entitled to be registered as British citizens. This is the effect of section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act, 1981.
2. The relevant form is MN1 which registers their birth and registration of a British citizen. Here is a link to the relevant government webpage which has a link for the relevant form
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again. Do I complete form MN1 now or after the three years+ resident in UK?
3. You complete the form MN1 after three years of your children living in the UK. However, the births should already be registered in the place (Greece) where the children were born ie they should have Greek birth certificates.
4. However, i am sure you have ensured your children have birth certificates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was hell getting the birth certificates. I don't speak Greek! We went to Greece for cheap IVF and then had to spend 7 months there in cheap rented accommodation as my partner was bed bound. I knew then we were in for a long and rough ride to get the British citizenship! In time will HM government want translations with the 'Hague' stamp on their birth certs? And can this be done in UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have lived on and off in Guildford since 2008 with both of us working internationally in many places. I guess I will need to get the boys into a school and signed up at a doctor's surgery at the very least. Will they appear on the National Health with a Social Security number after that?
5. Yes, the Hague stamp will be required on the birth certificates as part of the citizenship application. For translations, I would suggest you speak to the Embassy in Greece or look up the Foreign office website for Notarial and Documentary Services for Greece. Here is a link 6. Yes, once you get a Uk address, then you can register with the NHS and get a Social Security Number. Under Eu law, access to social services and social health is dependent upon residency in that country. So you will need to show you are resident in the UK. However, if you have a n address in Guildford, this should be sufficient.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have a brilliant name. It must be Gaelic. (Shepard is it? I will have to ask my father as he is a Gaelic speaker) We will probably be Scotland bound, which will add to the complexity if England leaves EU and Scotland wants to stay!!