How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A freind of mine has sent a letter to a man who made scurrilous

Customer Question

A freind of mine has sent a letter to a man who made scurrilous rumours about her and me on Facebook about 6 months ago..she sent him a solicitors letter saying that he musta gree to never mention her name on any public forum again...this man phoned me this morning and threatened to take the whole sorry saga to a Sunday rag newspaper...I am assuming he is doing it for money...should I be worried or is there anything I can do about it to stop him dragging mine and my friends name through the mud again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What is he saying that is untrue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He used to work for me and is saying that he slept with me...I don't care about that..he can say what he wants...but he is saying that he slept with my freind and that she was also sleeping with the guy who worked for her...he says he is going to go to papers and tell them about her partners son being gay and just basically dodging up any info he garnered from us while working here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find out what your answer is?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Your concern being that he will disclose confidential information about your firm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes..and personal stuff
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, we need to separate this out.
Forget about your friend. She will have to sort out her own problems.
Your concern is
1 The confidentiality of your firm
2 The allegation that you had a relationship with her?
If so, are both untrue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is telling me he is going to go to the papers, I think he wants money from me to keep him quiet but he has already blackmailed me with threats and I gave him 5 grand to not carry out the threats...I then went to the police and reported him and got a restraining order against him..but how can he then bring my name or my friends name into any public forum when I have gone to the police and she has sent solicitors letters saying not to mention her he trying to call my bluff? Or how can I stop him doing this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing about our firm that he could say apart from a bit of sharp practice which he wouldn't know anything about, he was the handyman. No I did not have a relationship with her...she is my best freind and has been for 25 years..he said on fb that she had a relationship with a different guy that worked with me and that I had a sexual relationship with a different female freind...which is all bullshit..but he is telling everyone that I said this was all true..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other thing I am a bit confused about is why that he said the newspaper phoned him for the story...why would a newspaper even be remotely interested in something as trivial as this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, it depends.
The act of contacting you might well be a breach of the restraining order. It depends if you do mean a restraining order or a harassment warning. Either way the contact could be an issue.
Going to the press per se is not a breach though. That does not amount to indirect contact. Indirect contact arises when you get another person to contact somebody for you.
Her solicitor's letter is fairly worthless. She can't just stop a person saying something about her to the press.
If what he is proposing to say is untrue then that would potentially be defamation. Injunctions would be available but usually a person has to assert a falsehood, be sued and then an order not to repeat a specific falsehood is made. It isnt particularly clear what is disputed here. If the issue is that he is suggesting your friend is of easy virtue then that is her problem. It seems to be alleged that he makes similar comments about you but you have no particular concern about that because it is nonsense which is fine.
If he is proposing to reveal confidential information relating to your firm and his contract binds him not to do that then you could seek an injunction preventing that.
I would quite surprised if the press were interested in this anyway as it is doesn't seem particularly sensational.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yhe original letter from her solicitor to him was saying that he was to admit that what he had said was untrue, that she would take him to court for defamation of character if he did not respond to her request..and that he would incur all financial costs...he did not respond...she asked me to contact him to ask him to do what she said...that's when he told me about the newspaper...he also told me that she can take him to court if she wants but he wouldn't be there...he is making all sorts of claims about me but I don't really's all bullshit...he had no contract with my firm as he was a handyman working for cash in hand whilst receiving his benefits money and his rent being paid...I have all that on my internet banking and it was the only proof that I had for the police to show them about him drawing money of me...he told me he would burn my house down if I didn't pay him...that's when I got the police involved...should I walk away from the whole thing and let the 2 of them sort it or should I help her?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You need to separate out your issues with hers.
I would seriously leave this to her to sort out. He may well be a thorough rogue. That is her problem. You can be supportive to her without placing yourself at risk. It is becoming apparent that you have only been involved in this because you were trying to help her which doesn't really make any sense at all from your point of view.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you think I should just leave them to it..or him to it and see what happens? I find it hard to believe that the paper would have any interest in any of this whatsoever..I think he is trying to get more money out of me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, I do agree with you. On the face of it this is just nonsense.
Even if they do though just let her sort this out.
If he says something unacceptable about you then sue him.