How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The police froze my bank account 18 months ago ! As yet no

Customer Question

The police froze my bank account 18 months ago ! As yet no charges have been brought .i received a letter six months ago saying they had insufiant evidence to continue with the case but my bank account remains frozen ; what should I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my aunt gave me a gift of £30.000 pounds .for my 65 the birthday .I put the cheque in my bank and it cleared.her lawyer.who had power of attorney had me arrested for financial abuse.the police froze my account and the money just sits there,that was may 2014 since then about six months ago a letter arrived from the police saying that their was not enough evidence to proceed .and cancelled the order banning from me seeing my aunt ,who now is in deep dementure.I have not been charged with any crime as yet.but my bank account containing this money remains frozen.thankyou Michael.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just a footnote .my. Aunt had her property and money confiscated unknown to her by her lawyer to the tune of some £ ahnt is in a care home and is oblivious to this now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Are they pursuing this as proceeds of crime?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ithey were yes.idid receive an informal telephone call from the vunerable person squaud .asking if I was prepared to return the cash . but that was in January This year !( I. answered if I must !they replied it would be favourable! ) no contact since thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Are you unwilling to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it was a retirement plan my uncle (now deceased)meant for me .after care ing for him during his 3year battle with Parkinson's .but of coarse I cannot prove this.and my aunt who is 87 to whom I am the sole next of kin .cannot support this due to her dementure .so yes I am unwilling to do this .but do I have a choice! can the police take it without charging me with anything !it is still in my bank account . how long must it remain frozen .without a charge.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, they shouldn't do that but they are. There is no way around that. You can always lay a complaint under the Police Property Act but then you would have to prove that it is yours legitimately and that may provoke a reply from the police that is not what you wanted. Also, it does rather invite a proceeds of crime act action. it depends if you are willing to run the risk because I suppose you don't have the money at the moment anyway so it might be worth the risk.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but surely it cannot go on indefinitely? I am 67 and my aunt 87 .time is in short supply .there must be some kind of a legal period whether it's mine or not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, they shouldn't do that but they are. There is no way around that.
There isn't any other way of challenging it than what I mentioned above.