How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33357
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Same sex couple - we have a child she is the birth mother and

This answer was rated:

Same sex couple - we have a child she is the birth mother and I am the biological mother using my egg in IVF. It was a messy split up and she named the child without my consent, I have PR now and want his name ammended so it states my last name as I don't want him getting confused and losing his identity later on in life. Have I got a good case to take her to court if she can refuse this. The name she chose wasn't agreed by me it was used to hide his identity from me. Thanks
You would need to make an application to the court on a form C100 - for an application for a specific issue order - namely the change of the name. As you will appreciate the court have the power to change the surname of the child. The two leading cases which set out law on an application to change a child's surname are the House of Lords' decision in Dawson v Wearmouth [1999] 2 WLR 960, [1999] 1 FLR 1167 (HL) and the Court of Appeal's decision in Re W, Re A, Re B (Change of Name) [1999] 2 FLR 933. In addition it is becoming more popular for court to allow double barred surnames as a resolution to the issue. The process will from start to finish take about 4 months - usually because CAFCASS are required to provide an opinion. Happy to discuss any questions - please rate positive
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it easy to remove a middle name as it was chosen without my consent and is someone I detest?