How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was illegally evicted 8 years ago and had all perccetions

This answer was rated:

I was illegally evicted 8 years ago and had all perccetions taken from me with no court papers at all no notice nothing.. I was 18 just turned 19 I went to Bradford for one night on a Thursday and came bk on the Friday locks were changed. Due to it being a Friday I could not go to my council. On the Monday I approached my council told them I was locked out and what should I do they ASKED MY MUM WHO WAS WITH ME if it was possible I stay their until they done their checks. I told the housing officer I'm with Thames housing and my case worker is called dawn noel..I then spent four nights at my mums and on the Thursday I received a letter from council stating that I made myself intentionally homeless under the 1988 housing act. All percessions were gone the housing association I think wernt even aware I had been locked out of home I never had a number for Thames housing as they were due to change to servite but after getting it a week later I called Thames housing who had told me that dawn did not work their anymore I have been tracing this women for 8 years and yesterday 03/10/2015 I called a company who emerged with Thames housing who are now called viridian housing. I spoke to someone on the phone and I asked if dawn worked their she said no ,but then when I asked to retrieve all paper work for myself at the time she said she wasn't able to do that I was confused and then asked to speak with the manager then she had me on hold for 2 minutes to then tell me dawn is the manager and that she's on yet another sick long leave..I have had no closure from this and I'm so upset by it I cant belive how these people have pushed me into the private sector with nothing or no help. do I still have right to sue the housing association and the owner who changed the lock,being that this has happened 8 years ago. and no one wants to hear my case I'm still tracking my furniture up till now last time I heard from dawn was 2 months after tenancy and she asked me when did I move which made me think she may not of known but she was my case worker we last spoke when she claimed all my belongings were in the yellow facility in either west Norwood or Elmer's end both companies cant give me anything because my name is ***** ***** database, my best friend who was killed in 2008 reason I got moved to the property all of her jewlery and other centimental things I have not retrieved back. I feel like an emotional wreck I just cant get over how unjust the council and Thames housing have neglected what they have done to me over these years.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
It's bad news I am afraid. You had 6 years to bring a claim under contract and 3 years under negligence. As it has been 8 years ago I am sorry to say any claim is statue barred.
I am so sorry that this is not the answer I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my case the.landlord or who-ever took my possessions to self-help to take my possessions of the premises,this is illegal(a criminal offense I've been wanting to call the police for so long but wasn't sure till I've found out threw law it is an offense.according to the protection from eviction act 1977. Ita always said this can give rise to a civil action or criminal offense. (all possessions taken.when I went to the council their duty was to treat me as priority as I did not become threatened with homelessness intentionally.the council had duty to take reasonable steps to ensure that my residence did not cease to availability. Under protection of eviction I spoke to council recently and am collecting paper work as proof no reason of intentionally homeless under act 1988 with no reason.the officer didn't investigate.the housing officer could have reinstated my tenancy.surely I can sue due to neglect and damages under section 27.before deciding checks have to be made to assure legal actions to place to end tenancy or license or whether their were legal procedures in place or if followed correctly.
Yes but yo are still out of time. The law says you must bring an action within 3 years for negligence and 6 years for breach.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's crazy I've been trying my hardest to get my things the housing officers should admit error and give me my possessions I even asked them to read out what. The data info and the guy secretly told me I've got a case due to negligence and for all this stress I should be compensated.the only reason I couldnt do anything earlier is because I never new or understood the law of it.someone has to see I was wronged I've been so badly effected by this.and have alot of paperwork to prove it.I looked up a few scenarios and someone claimed damages for similar scenario and was awarded 7yrs after. Surely I can report to police my bewtfriends possessions were stolen from me it's all I had left of hers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've just realized it hasn't been 8 years it has been 6 years I was unlawfully evicted in 2009.
I agree. But you can't take civil action given its been more than 6 years. I am sorry
You need to issue a claim within 6 years. It can take another year to get to court. But it must be issued within 6 years.
Does that clarify?
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope so what can I do?
You said 8 years in the question, then 7 years, now 6 years. What date in 2006?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
November the decision was made sorry it's because my son was 2 at the time he's now 8
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im gonna try real hard to get this dealt with I just can't afford the expensive solicitors fees I've been offered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks anyway
What date in November?