How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has on set dementia and would like to know how to

This answer was rated:

My husband has on set dementia and would like to know how to go about power of attorney. But he some times understands me when i tell him we need to do things like this but he can not sine his name and dont read. I do every think and look after every think as well so whats is best for me to do.
HIThank you for your question My name is***** shall do my best to help you but i do need some further information firstWill his doctor confirm that he has sufficient mental capacity to make this decision
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know got see them on friday. I have got to have his eyes tested again as some times its like he cant see right. So needs a lot of help from me.
Are the assets in joint names or his sole name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have a joint account with our bank thats all we have as we rent.
So you do not need a Power of Attorney to deal with finances?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know as its a joint account and cant use the bank he leves it all to me to do i am going to see the bank next week to let them know.
Doe she have any private pensions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is retide he gets his hight state pension, Just got attendance allowance for him.I work sunday and monday from 6am tell 12pm in the afternoon then i am home with my hubby for the rest of the week.As i have just come from nights to days so will be putting in for carers allowance. And waiting for my wage slip with my new hours on to send to the houseing benefit.I asm sorry i am not much help not done this before.
Do not worry.Who has told you that you need a Power of Attorney?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told by the nurse from the Jsmine centre to have power of attorney because of his dementia so that i will be dealing with everythink. In witch i told her i do every think any way.has i do most of it on line and our bills come out of the bank.
If there are no assets in his sole name then there is no need for a Power of Attorney as you already have the ability to deal with everything.However if you wish to be certain the you need to find out from the Doctor whether or not your husband has Mental Capacity.If he does then a Solicitor can help you with the forms if you decide you wish to go ahead.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well thank you very much Clare that has put my mind at rest thank you for all your help i will ask the dr on friday thanks again.