How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My deceased partners family have followed me to my new

This answer was rated:

Hi, my deceased partners family have followed me to my new address and they have slandered me at my place of work. Can i get a civil injunction to stop their behavior as the police say they can't do anything without evidence?
Hi, thanks for your question.
When was the most recent incident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Depends on what you would call incident. The problem is that the employment agency i do work for seems to be passing on slander to jobs they are sending me to, so it seems to be ongoing. Although my "inlaws" are the root of my problem. i last saw one of the family members about 10 months ago. Myself and my daughter moved away from them about 4 years ago.

My email address is***@******.***

Your system says this email address is registered with another user.

This is my only email address and as far as i am aware, the only email address in use.

Thanks. If you are being harassed by your in-laws, then you would need to apply to your local county court for an injunction under form N16A. Your application will need to be accompanied by a sworn statement outlining the reasons for the application, incidents, threats and harassment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** tell me how much it will cost?

Also will the courts uphold an injunction when it is hard to prove?

Is form N16A an application for a civil injunction?

The Court fee should be £155 for an application on notice. It is a civil injunction, however, the threshold is very high and you will need evidence to support your application in order for the Court to agree to impose an injunction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** it is my word against theirs. However i did see one of them in a car and i got the reg number, time place and date. That was about 10 months ago, and incident is about 200 miles from their home town. Should i proceed?

I do not think that there would be prospects of success at this time, especially as you will be relying on a sighting from almost a year ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What can i do then, this is affecting my life?

I thought that you can use a sighting or incident going back 6 years?

Unfortunately, if the most recent sighting was 10 months ago the Court will not see that there is any benefit of having an injunction in place. You can rely on it, but the Court will need to see that harassment is continuous and that the injunction is necessary at this time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, i saw the same person again in the same town a second time, but was not able to get the full reg number. Only the first 4 digits. The harassment is continuous as i am being slandered because of these people. It is having a negative effect on my job and job prospects. I don't think they are going to put themselves in danger of legal action being taken against them. Their action is more devious.

OK, just be sure if you do pursue this that your statement details dates, times and details of the incidents, and if the matter had been witnessed by anyone or referred to authorities.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** pursue this as i have a diary of all incidents, times places etc. Thank you for your help

Thanks, ***** ***** luck.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you