How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Traffic offence letters seemed to be sent to my old address

This answer was rated:

Traffic offence letters seemed to be sent to my old address although I registered within one week of moving day.
Suddenly correction officer came to the old address and said if I don't pay 1055 GBP I will be arrested. even I don't know what I did.
how can I avoid the charges or any way to appeal?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. What was the offence?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What is the primary offence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I don't know. The correction person said it is traffic offence possibly speeding or signal ignored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said I need to pay now and no other option. I can't pay for what I don't know.
I suppose you don't deny speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think I did. if they give me the evidence, I can say something but I don't have any.
It isn't that simple I'm afraid. There is a finding against you.
Did you get a NIP alleging speeding several months before moving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't have any. If I have, I could do something.
Was there any difficulty with your post before the move?
Did you complain to the Post Office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. but sometimes letter sent to number 18 although my address is 1B. I complained to the postman but not post office.
I moved 18th January and started to live new address from 21st January.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the car's registration change was sent I believe within 14 days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
although the authority does know my address change and they can think I might not receive the letters why they keep sending those letters? it doesn't make sense.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but this is my first time to use this service, I don't know how long I should wait. Can you please advise what I can expect?
is this all you can provide?
Why don't the authority know your new address? You disclosed formerly to the DVLA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I googled and it said authority can send letters to the address when the offense was taken place.
means they can send letters where the car owner doesn't live anymore. I believe at least once or more the letters were sent back to the court or sender as I couldn't find any letter in the commerce door which means most likely the building management sent back to post office.
I sent the address change to DVLA within 14 days.
The authority should and would write to the address they have on file.
If you did give them the new address on the V5 then you have two options. Firstly you could try to get the conviction reopened at the Magistrates Court on the basis that you didn't receive the summons. Secondly you could make a statutory declaration on the point.
If you succeed on a stat dec the matter will be taken back to the issue of the original fine.
Even if they just reopen the conviction you can plead guilty there and then and the sentence will contain vastly reduced costs.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Can you please advise how I can ask the Magistrates Court to reopen the case? just write a letter or email?
the correction company threatened if I don't pay 1055GBP immediately even I don't know what for, Police will arrest me.
Do you think if I explain I'm intending to reopen the case, they might stop sending people to the old flat( I don't live there but my ex-landlord was so frightened for their attitude)
You just attend at the issuing court first thing in the morning and ask to make an application. It might be worth calling in advance as some courts have specified dates upon which they will accept reopen applications and stat decs.
In the meantime though they will continue to enforce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure. only one thing, what decs meaning?
Statutory declaration. A declaration on oath of a fact.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.