How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10732
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We live in a block of flats managed by FirstPort. One of the

This answer was rated:

We live in a block of flats managed by FirstPort. One of the owners has a gas leak within her property which seems to be caused by a leak in a pipe running through concrete in the floor of the flat. The management company has building insurance which we pay for as part of our service charge but they are saying that this does not cover gas supplies in individual flats. I have checked the lease and it says that "The maintained property shall comprise (but not exclusively) all Service Installations utilised exclusively by individual dwellings. However, I have contacted my insurance broker to try to buy insurance to cover the service installations in our flat but they are saying that this has to be covered by the management buildings insurance and there may be a legal case if it isn't covered.
Can you advise me please?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am afraid that if the pipe in question serves only your Flat and is not a communal pipe, then you are responsible for any remedial repairs.
The Management Company are only responsible for maintaining and insuring any communal pipes serving the Block as a whole.
The "maintained property" refers to your Flat and the things that you are responsible for, and it confirms this does include the service installations used exclusively by your Flat.
I am sorry this I snot the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you