How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33385
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I run a small roofing business ,we have been victim

This answer was rated:

Hello, I run a small roofing business ,we have been victim of invoice fraud .
I raised an invoice to my customer and sent it via hotmail not knowing my email account had been hacked the fraudsters quickly sent copy's of invoice but with different bank details as a consequence and because it came from my email address my customer paid the fraudulent account details .
This happens six weeks ago and my customers says hi bank have only recoverd part of the money they have given him no written confirmation that as far as they are concerned the matter has reached conclusion.
My question is ,am I within my rights to peruse him for the remaining balance and should I just take him to court ?
The banks will give me no information because of the data protection law and I only have my customers say so on what's happening .
Hope you can help.
Kind regards *****
Canford Roofing ltd
Dear *****,How much was lost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is about £6000 outstanding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still working on the answer ?
Yes I am. You are completely within your rights to pursue the claim against him on the basis that you have not been paid. This is a matter where you would take him to the small claims court for the money owed - to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From a legal point , open and shut case ? There is no dispute he owes me the money
It seems pretty straight forward to say the least. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And you are a qualified solicitor ?
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you