How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1439
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My friend is trying to get hold of his wife whom he has been

This answer was rated:

My friend is trying to get hold of his wife whom he has been separated from for a number of years in order to proceed with a divorce. He has found her on Facebook and has sent her a letter asking for her to get in touch but the letter has been returned saying "nobody here by that name" . We suspect (based on Facebook evidence) that she has recently remarried and has committed bigamy. What is the best way to get this resolved? What is the process and could she be prosecuted?
Thanks for your advice
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Bigamy is certainly a crime in the UK and this needs to be reported to the police so that they can investigate.
You need to provide all the evidence possible to assist the police.
Your friend should also submit a search to see if his wife has already obtained decree absolute - see this link:
In respect of divorce the best thing to do is to start the petition (if the search proves no decree absolute has been obtained) and ask for service by alternate means. The Judge may well allow service to take place via Facebook.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Caroline
thank you for coming back to me so quickly. I have a few of follow up questions:
When you say "all the evidence possible", is there a minimum the police would need in order to proceed and if so what would that be?
Thank you for the link to check if the wife has already obtained a decree absolute. It seems odd that one would have been granted without my friend being aware of it. Is that even possible? He really wants a divorce and 2 years ago when he approached his wife she stated that she would make it difficult for him and "make him pay" .
My friend has already begun the petition with his solicitor. The idea of allowing service to take place via Facebook is very interesting. Are there other "Alternate means" available? How long should this process take?Kind regards,Celia
Hello Celia
In respect of the police - it's really a case of giving them everything possible so that they can investigate - any photos on Facebook etc
Whilst it's highly unlikely that a divorce has taken place without your friend knowing it's still worth checking especially if they have been separated a while.
Service by alternate means could also be by other means such as email etc but if this info isn't known then Facebook is still an option.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback gratefully received
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Caroline.Final question - is there anywhere we can go or website that will help us establish if she has got married?
Sorry there isn't. You would have to know the registry where she got married so that you can ask them for a copy of the marriage certificate. You could try a few registries if you had a rough idea of the area.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Caroline. Have 5* submitted rating
Thank you
Glad I could help
Kind Regards