How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Neighbour has accused me of misappropriating a narrow

This answer was rated:

Neighbour has for years accused me of misappropriating a narrow strip of land from their property. I have researched and produced evidence that they are wrong. The evidence has been passed to neighbour with the request that either they formally withdraw their accusation or commence proceedings against me. They studiously have ignored my request so the whole issue remains in the air which I am concerned could delay the sale of my property in the future. Can I take an action in the small claims court to force them to formally withdraw the accusation?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What loss have you suffered as a result?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No financial loss but concerned unresolved dispute could delay property sale
Ok, I assume you have not suffered serious harm then, following on from that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the frustration of repeated accusations over many years
Indeed. I am sorry but its bad news I am afraid, you can't take him to Court for this. Even if you could it would NOT be a small claim because of the very nature of it. You are saying he has made false allegations so in reality you are saying what he is saying is wrong.
This may well be the case and people are just a bit mean, instead of getting on, but what you are saying is this is defamation as its a false statement. these proceedings can only be dealt with in the High Court and you would need to show serious harm.
Sadly there is not anything you can do and he just try and behave properly.
I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to inform a prospective purchaser of my property of this accusation?
No, not at this stage, its not a dispute as such.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought it was a dispute and that I could be pursued by a purchaser of my property if they incurred costs and I have not informed them from the outset of the issue. If you are saying I am not at risk by not mentioning the issue I am both pleased and relieved.
You can do that yes, because you can say its not been involved with Solicitor etc, just a disagreement at this stage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the advice which relieves my concerns and I shall proceed accordingly at the appropriate time.
Am I right in assuming you will now take the fee of £47 from my credit card?
Correct, if I could invite you to rate my answer before you go.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the defamation issue, I am sure my accuser has bad mouthed me to others but not sure what damage to my character accrues. For information, the neighbour is a divorced woman
Thanks but you would need to still show serious harm sadly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Alex that is probably what I thought. Both myself and my wife have made no comment whatsoever to others about the issues in the hope that people to whom she has commented have sufficient intelligence to realise there are two sides to every issue. That said there is one occassion where she put something in writing to a third party that could be considered defamation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The letter in my possession in which a defamatory comment was made is some time ago and I have not thought to pursue the issue in law nor can I quantify what if any harm has been caused so probably not viable to raise now. Assume you agree.
Yes sadly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your help.
Brian Collyer