How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I bought a new television set from a well-known department

This answer was rated:

I bought a new television set from a well-known department store. 32 days later it broke down and the store would not consider replacing it but offered to repair it. Is this correct? So far we have been without the TV for over a week.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Under the Sale of Goods Act you have the right to a refund, repair or an exchange unless the merchant can show that one or the other is disproportionately expensive for them. Usually that is what they rely upon with products like this of high value.
Therefore, they are entitled to a reasonable attempt at repair and one week is not excessive I'm afraid. Much longer and you could challenge on that basis.
You can always complain to trading standards and they might cave in at that point.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you