How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a Housing Association tenant living in a basement

This answer was rated:

I am a Housing Association tenant living in a basement flat on my own in London. Approximately 2-3 years ago my flat was broken into and it made me afraid and much stressed of living alone. I rang up the HA and asked if i could get a lodger in and they approved. However, i ended up not taking in a lodger as i had friends and a boyfriend at the time that supported me.
Six months ago my friend got attacked on my street coming to visit me and she was hospitalised which made me worried and scared again being alone and at the same time i was told i was going to be made redundant so i thought maybe i get a lodger in so i wouldn’t be living alone and it would also help me pay the rent when/if i made redundant.
Recently, i found out that my lodger spoken to HA and told me that i am renting my room illegally. I haven’t been contacted from my HA yet but if that is the case where do i stand? I was told it was ok to take a lodger in initially and didn’t check again when i did eventually have a lodger.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was it in writing to say you were ok to get a lodger please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it wasn't.
Ok. May I ask why not? What is it you would like to,know about this today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have spoken to them on the phone and i didn't think of asking in writing and decided not to get a lodger at the time in the end anyway until only recently and again i thought as they said i ok when i first inquired i went ahead with it given the circumstances i was in.
I want to know what do i need to do now? Am i in the wrong? if so what can i do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and also what can they (the HA) do?
You should have made sure really it was in writing as in the event of a dispute you will have evidence. I assume you can't remember who spoke to all that time ago?
You could be in trouble and they may ask you to get the lodger to move, regulate the position or attempt to serve a notice seeking possession. Therefore you should say to them you had permission and ask them to check the records. If may have it there but I assume if you contacted them and they have now said there is a problem then it could be a problem.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i dont remember who i spoke to. But if they did make a note on my account (i hope they did) they would be able to see from their records.
I have removed the lodger already. They haven't said anything to me (yet) but my lodger said she has spoken to them and that is what they said. Can you clarify what do you mean by regulate the position? Would i have any grounds to object if they seek possession?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think i should get a solicitor?
Regulate means give permission but if lodger has already gone you don't need to worry. If they seek possession you can rely on the fact you were granted permission. It's harder because it's not in writing but you do have a fighting chance.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does. Thank you. One last question in the mean time what do i need to do? Contact them or wait for them to contact me? Should i get a solicitor?
Wait to see what happens and then if it's bad news get a a solicitor.
Is that ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you very much. Can you recommend me a good solicitor? Would you be able to give me an idea how much would it cost me?
You may be able to get legal aid. A solicitor can be found here
I hope that helps
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you