How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had an outstanding tax bill of around £2,000. I mentioned

This answer was rated:

I had an outstanding tax bill of around £2,000. I mentioned this to a colleague of mine (let's call him Max) a few days ago. Last week Max called me to advise that he has paid my tax bill using a credit card. In fact he has overpaid it by about £11,000. I checked this by accessing my online account with HMRC and there it was, a £13,000 payment showing on my tax statement. The next day Max called me again and told me that the overpayment had been claimed back and would be received into my bank account. A couple of days later I checked my bank statement and I was really surprised to see an £11,000 payment from HMRC, i.e. a refund of the overpayment. Max has since been calling me and texting me and asking me to transfer the £11,000 to him. He is saying that I do not need to worry about the £2,000 he has paid towards my tax liability. I'm really confused about all this and don't know what to do. Why would someone do something like this. Can you please help as I need to act quick and do not want to get into any trouble.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You should be worried this is money laundering. You should call hmrc and ask them to credit back the overpayment to his card. He could have used someone else's. So call hmrc
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So this is a scam? If yes, is it a common scam? I mean have you come across this before?
I understand from your response that Max has most probably used a stolen credit card to make this payment. In which case, the person who's card has been used will soon realise this and demand a refund from his bank. The bank will then claim back the funds from HMRC, and HMRC will then ask me to return the money, right?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: