How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My sister is going through a tough time with an verbally

This answer was rated:

Hi my sister is going through a tough time with an verbally abusive ex who always undermineds her position as a mother,hes has been aggressive when the children are in the room witch will have an effect on them in the long term, she has to cancel driving lessons and classes because he changes the plans at the last min , there's no consideration for what she is trying to do as a mother . What can we do
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What are you hoping to do about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She wants to cover her self legally and make a point to him that this behaviour is unacceptable,she needs all the help you can think of
I'm not sure what she is hoping the law will do?
To achieve what?
What happens when she tells him not to speak to her like that?
Why does she need to have contact with him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there's not much the law can do? When she tells him not to speak her in that way in front the kids it works for a bit but he's one of those people that I think could turn violent if the argument go to far and I don't want to wait for that. She has contact with him beacuse she is a kind person who trys to see the best in people's and a child needs a father that's why I'm doing this for her.
Well, it depends.
On the face of it, I cannot immediately see a remedy at this stage. He isn't doing anything unlawful. That is not to say that it is acceptable but it is a relationship issue for her to sort out herself. He hasn't turned violent so action cannot be taken on the basis that she suspects he may.
A child certainly does need a father and he will get contact even if she withdraws it but there is no reason for her to see him. She can just drop the children off to him and he can return them as they privately arrange. They can use third parties.
Or, if she prefers, she could just tell him not to speak to her like that which in the long run would make things much easier. He is not really very likely to behave violently from that alone and anyway she can always do it remotely or when in public.
I wouldn't get involved in this if I were you though. Don't place yourself a risk. There is usually more to a relationship dispute than one side will disclose and also lovers and former lovers can be very unreasonable and start blaming third parties when it suits them.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The third-party thing is what she done before and it work but because things were good it went back to the way they're now,so I'll sergest that to her. You are right I shouldn't get to involved but she's my sister. Thanks for your help,have good day