How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Our business invested money in a new business venture in the

This answer was rated:

Our business invested money in a new business venture in the UK. The people in the UK originally resided in Australia and we built a business and personal relationship with these people over several years while they were in Australia. The people then advised us they would be moving to the UK, The father and myself are in the automotive heavy vehicle transport industry and devised a plan to buy heavy vehicle spare parts in the UK and import to Australia. The people moved to the UK and set up all we needed to commence the business the only thing remained was finance. The people in the UK had limited finance so in order for them to contribute 50% of the funds required to get the business up and running they needed to apply for a loan. I was informed by them the bank would match dollar for dollar any money they could raise. We applied for a loan here in Australia so we borrowed $25,000 AUD and sent it to them for our contribution and also for the purpose of the people in the UK providing capital to raising their contribution for our joint business venture. Since we transferred the funds to the UK our contact with the UK people by phone and email has slowly diminished to the point where we can not contact them at all any more and of course we are out of pocket $25,000. I have contacted my bank and theirs to no avail!! Do we have any options? Course of action we can take to recover our money if at all??
Thank You
Danny Hagarty
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you know their name and address please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
Alan Alwyn Baseley***** Formby, Liverpool, England, L37 8BG
Company Entity below :-
A.D.A TRANSPORT SERVICES LTD, Which Alan is the sole director, Company Number 09437974
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
Thank you for help to date
Just to clarify we are located in Australia and the person in question is in the UK. My point is should the case go to court or the small claims court I would not be able to appear in person?? So how do we handle this situation??
Also you stated i should make sure i send this signed delivery and keep a copy of the refund request. Could you please clarify your meaning of " send this signed delivery and keep a copy "??
Thank You
Danny Hagarty
Yes I understand you are in Australia. If it went to Court you could have someone represent you and attend if you felt it was necessary. In terms of sending the refund request you can send an email asking for the money back.
Does that clarify Danny?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi AlexYes thanksDanny
Great. Good luck with this.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you