How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50209
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have not had hot water days and the only plumber they

This answer was rated:

I have not had hot water for 3 days and the only plumber they are offering me is someone that I have expressly said that I do not want in my house
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who is offering you that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The letting agent on behalf of the landlord
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello, are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've not had a response yet and I paid for the urgent service, how long can I expect it to take?
I am still here but we are dealing with a number of customers at the same time. Why do you not want that plumber?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my opinion he is a bit of a cowboy! Last week he was replacing the thermostat control (for the heating not the hot water) while we were away (this was on the Tuesday) When we returned on Friday night we realised there was no hot water - I called him 4 times on Friday evening and left messages, explaining that I could be reached at any time, explaining that there was no hot water, that I was sick and also had my 10 month old baby who needed hot water for bathing, cleaning bottles etc etc... I had no response from him at all over the weekend and was left with no hot water. On his website he offers a 24 hour plan, so I doubt that he didn't check his voice mail all night/weekend as the phone switched between straight to answerphone and actually dialling each time I called. I personally found this very disrespectful to not even make any contact and it would leave me feeling very uncomfortable to have him in my home.Also with the heating problem that had been mentioned the tenancy agent had sent someone to do a full report and sent that back to the landlord (as we had quite a few problems over a period of time) - the landlord wasn't happy with the report (even though it was a reputable account from a established firm and confirmed all the problems we have had)so sent this guy for a second opinion - after we explained everything to him, he didn't even check anything and just said 'oh what the other guy said sounds right so I'll just tell him that'. So he didn't even look at it and I question what his integrity is. This coupled with feeling uncomfortable around him as mentioned earlier are the reasons I don't want him in my home.Can I ask, does it matter what basis I decide if I would like someone in my home or not?
Well no, you are entitled to decide who enters your property and if you have issues with a certain individual then you cannot be forced to allow them to enter the premises. However, if that is the nominated person for carrying out the repairs and the landlord does not have anyone else at their disposal straight away, it may result in a delay in getting the repairs done. But you need to press them on whether this is indeed the only plumber available or if they are just offering you his one even though others are actually available. However, if they are acting unreasonably and are simply refusing to offer you anyone else, when they are available, you can try and take matters in your own hands and get someone in yourself, the charge the landlord for the work done. Before you go down that route I suggest you inform them of your intentions and give them one last chance to resolve this themselves, but if they fail to do so then you can do that if it means you will continue without hot water. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tenancy agent has said their legal council have said that I am only entitled to claim if I have it done myself if has refused to do the job.
Well no, if there is a standoff and no resolution then eventually you may be able to do it yourself if you are left with no hot water in the long run. But that should be a last resort - try to negotiate with them, even if it means having that person but with someone else accompanying him
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what if I am not comfortable with someone accompanying them - I don't want them in my home
Then it goes back to my initial advice - you either try and organise someone else to be sent out or if that is impossible and there is no other option - you have to try and get the repairs done yourself and hold them liable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to go ahead and organise a plumber myself as they have refused to look at another plumber. I take it that I would have to take it to small claims court to get the funds back. If I make that claim can I include an amount for my time (i.e. my whole day today has been focused around getting this sorted, I run a company and should really be working today myself). Is it also possible to claim the fees that I have paid for legal advice?
If they refuse to pay then yes it would mean the small claims court. But you cannot just claim for everything you mentioned. Legal costs are not recoverable and your time could be charged but only what is considered reasonable. You could try and claim for all of it and the court will decide how much should be granted If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you