How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

In 2010 my daughters fathers application was thrown

Customer Question

In 2010 my daughters fathers application for contact was thrown out of court on the grounds that it would not be in her best intrests to persue contact with her father. She was 5yrs old then. In March 2015 i was taken into hospital for 28days and my daughter went into care voluntarily under section 20. Since then, social services have introduced her to her dad without informing me, moving contact onto overnight stays again not informing me or having a conversation about why contact ceased in the 1st place.
So basically i was wondering
1. Can social services override a court decision...and....
2. Can they start/change/decide on contact without informing me?
Would really appreciate if you could help advise.
Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
In response to your questions:
1. The court decided five years before social service's involvement that contact was not suitable. It may be that the court order may have been time-limited?
2. Prior to contact commencing the social worker would have needed to carry out a risk assessment if the father had not been involved in your daughter's life, your views would have been taken into account but the social worker would have looked at your daughter's needs first.
In the circumstances it may be the case that matters could have improved over the past five years for the father.
Please rate positive if you found this information helpful.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a Family Lawyer for 30 years.The Order would not have been time limited BUT I am afraid that Social Services did indeed have the power to re-visit the position and to start contact.However you should have been consulted - the S20 form that you signed did NOT abrogate your Parental responsibility.How far they have overstepped the mark depends on whether or not your ex has Parental responsibility and why you were hospitalised.Please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just checking to see if you had any further questions regarding this issue. Please rate positive if you found the information helpful.