How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Good morning, I've been paying international fees instead

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I've been paying international fees instead of home fees to study in a University in England and my university refuses to refund me because they say I do not comply with all the the categories under UKCISA. However, UKCISA says in their website that I have to comply with only one category out of ten possible categories.
I comply with UKCISA category 7 which is "Child of a Swiss National". My parents are Swiss nationals, I have been an ordinarily resident in the UK the first day I started uni and I have been an ordinarily resident of Switzerland more than 3 years required and the main purpose of my residency in Switzerland was not to receive full-time education.
What further steps can I do when the university refuses to comply with UKCISA?
Thank you
Best regards,
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When you started the course did you agree to pay the overseas fees rate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The acceptance letter doesn't show/stipulate that I'm paying or have to pay the overseas fees. I found out when I compared with a British student a few months ago.
Ok how long into the course are you and I assume you have now written to the University to show that you meet one of the requirements for a home student. Why exactly have they stated they do not accept you meet the home student criteria?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I finish at the end of this year. They said they have gone through the various home fees categories on the UKCISA website and just said that I don't comply with all the the criteria under all the categories, which is just impossible to meet and is wrong because the UKCISA website clearly explains that to qualify for home fees I have to fit all the criteria under one category at least. Then I replied that I qualified for Child of a Swiss Citizen but the finance director sent an email to me thinking it was the department fees and said "he is right he doesn't have to fit all the criteria in all the categories but we have decided he doesn't fit any.They didn't explain the reasons why I don't fit category 7.
Well it is clear you should be classed as a home student.
If you have not already done so I would suggest you call the UKCISA advice line. Details are on the attached link
You should write to the finance department copying in the Vice Chancellor of the University and the Chair of the Students union to state that you have been incorrectly charged international fees and that you expect a refund of the difference in the 2 sets of fees as set out in the regulations. You should state that if the refund is not forthcoming you will have no alternative but to bring a claim to recover the difference in the 2 sets of fees.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answerYes I have an additional question.Under the category 7 there's a note saying "If you have not yet started your course, it is likely your university/college will insist also that your Swiss parent must be exercising a right of residence in the UK (for example as a self-sufficient person, a worker, or a student) on the first day of an academic year of your course. Check this by asking your university/college."Can they play on this note saying that 2 years ago when I didn't started the course my Swiss parents were not exercising a right of residence in the UK? (They were not indeed?) However, would it apply only for the first term fees or first year fees? or now that I have obviously started the course they can't use this note?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And how do I bring a claim? Is it a Solicitor who can bring it?
This will depend on the university policy. You will need to ask to see the policy. In the first instance I would write the letter I have described. If they try to rely on this point then you need to ask to see the university written policy on the point. It is possible to bring a money claim in the county court without a solicitor but it is probably a good idea to see if you can find a specialist solicitor to help you. It may be that if you phone the helpline they can help you.Good luck with this and please do remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you very much for your answers.
Have a nice day
Best regards,
No problem Sebastien. All the best with this.