How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49820
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I lent my friend £600 What are my legal right to get it

Customer Question

I lent my friend £600
What are my legal right to get it make
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When did you give him that money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I gave him the money between July and August £ 200 was transferred from my account to his then another £150 was transferred from a account to his account
Then I took £150 from a cash point near his house and I sold him my iPad for £100
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm also finding it very ha d to communicate with him as he has blocked me from his phone
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Do you know if he has the funds to pay you back? Do you have other ways of contacting him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't work and is on housing benefit I can text him but that doesn't guarantee he will respond
He has asked for my bank details ( is it a good idea to give him)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
If you lent the money on the understanding that it would be repaid, then you can take this matter further. Obviously legal action should be the last resort but it is there should you need it. It would not guarantee payment though as he can just ignore it and then it would be down to you to pursue it by trying out different enforcement methods, such as bailiffs, etc. Nevertheless, threatening court action and even starting the process can put some pressure on him to reconsider his position. In terms of giving him your bank details, to be honest there is very little he can do with the – he can’t go ahead and withdraw money from your account simply by having them, so you could try to see if results in payment. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you, specifically in terms of the steps you need to take to proceed further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if you need me to go into more detail with the steps you need to follow to pursue this further, which I would be happy to do. In the meantime, please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.