How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can a solicitor write a letter asking that my partners family

This answer was rated:

Can a solicitor write a letter asking that my partners family stop harrasing and being abusive towards me and not to come near me?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been with my partner just over 4 years and he has rather a dysfunctional family. They decided they didn't like me as run my own business so able to lead a standard lifestyle with own home car etc whilst none of them work and expect handouts etc. after having abusive messages sent to me we cut off contact two years ago but they have never fully gone away but my partner and his sister tried to re connect earlier this year but did not work out. Yet again I have been made the scape goat of blame and had nasty calls again etc which have always just brushed off or ignored from the sister and nieces and nephews, however yesterday I answered the phone to yet another unrecognized number and was being threatened by the nephew of 'looking over my shoulder as don't realize what he is capable of and if I go over to see my father in law will knock me out.
This has now all become too much and even though is logged with the police that is all they can do they say at the moment.
I need them to leave me alone as have ill health also and affecting it greatly.
What action have the police taken?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none they said have logged it all but as mostly calls so no evidence as such they will not go over there and tell them to leave me alone and just told me to go buy security cameras in case come near the house which I have done
Okay thanks.
The short answer is that a solicitor can do that but it may not have the desired effect.
Any solicitor can send out a harassment warning. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. However, the difficulty here is the same as the police are having. Ultimately to take any action you would need to prove that they were the parties responsible. I imagine that is the difficulty the police face.
As solicitors letter would cost probably around hundred pounds plus VAT. It is possible that some body would act for a cheaper price but that is a rough figure and it may be affected.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you for that, I am not so bothered about the cost of it as just wanted to know if possible to do just to try to warn them off to see if hopefully would take a letter more seriously than me just trying to ignore it all the time.
Yes, and sometimes it does work for exactly that reason.
The only issue is that underpinning it with legal action is harder.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help I feel a bit better now that can at least try this option
Kind Regards
No problem.
All the best.