How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35078
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a South African getting married to another South African

This answer was rated:

I am a South African getting married to another South African in South Africa in January. We live in the UK (I am on a UK ancestry visa and he has an EU passport) and will want to have children here. I was told that I would have to have a civil wedding here in order to be recognised under UK law if I want my kids to be British. Is this correct? What other information should I be aware of in this regard?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Provided you are legally married in South Africa then the Uk will recognise the marriage and there is no need to do anything else
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, would I have to declare my marriage here in the UK and if so how would I go about doing that?
There is no requirement to do so - and no way to do it either!
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you