How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My wife and her ex partner took out an endowment policy

Customer Question

Hello my wife and her ex partner took out an endowment policy on a property they lived in. After they split up 16 years ago it was agreed that my wife would take over the policy and her partner would take a greater share at that time of the sale of the property. A letter was sent to Friends life signed by both parties confirming this is what they wanted to happen and this was followed up by a phone call. My wife has continued to pay the policy over the last 16 years from her bank account until it matured last month when She received a majurity cheque for £31k. However the cheque is in the name of her and her ex partner and of course The bank will not accept it to pay into her account. Friends life will not re issue a cheque or pay into the account where the money has been paid from without receiving a signed letter from her ex partner and a witnessed signed copy of his driving licence. We have no idea where her ex partner is or any way of contacting him. What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Have you attempted to use a tracing service to find him? They are fairly efficient and some services can offer a "no trace, no fee" such as here: - you will need to provide them with name, date of birth, last known address etc - the more information the easier it will be for the company to find him.
They basically run checks with credit agencies for last known addresses.
Please rate positive if you found this information helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, but in any event my wife does not want to have to go through the ordeal of having to contact and meet with her ex partner again after so many years as it ended acrimoniously. She does not understand why having paid the money from a specific account for the last 16 years friends life can't pay the money back to their account. Rather than offering advise on how to trace her ex partner can you offer more advice around her options in challenging the actions of friends life who she took the endowment out with please?
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
I will opt out an allow another expert to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that should have read "her account" not "Their account"
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** But I would like you to cancel the question please.