How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72702
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Dear Jo, my partner and I have lived together 12

This answer was rated:

Dear Jo, my partner and I have lived together for approx 12 years.just recently she decided she wanted out of the relationship and to separate.the property we own is the main bone of contention.i paid off the mortgage 2 years ago when I retired from the police with my commutation.we have agreed a deal in principal of £30000 cash to her but she anticipates problems from the housing and housing benefits office should she accept.we intend to make the deal formal through a local solicitor but the housing are asking for details of property worth.whats the way forward ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What are you hoping to achieve?
Obviously the DWP will have to know about this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
An amiccable saw dwpwill need to know about this I assume this will be proved by the solicitors document ? Do you mean tell them what is agreed in principal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Not if that deal hasn't actually come to fruition yet.
If she still partly owns a property then she will have to disclose ownership of that property and make the point that it is split with you.
She can disclose the proposed agreement.
Either way though, truth is that it is likely that housing benefit would be refused I'm afraid. Even with the payout she would have more than £16k which is the cut off point. If she owns a property they could say there is elsewhere she could live.
I'm very sorry but that is the reality.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks is the £47 pounds paid here a one off do I need to cancel anything ?
You need to email customer services about your account here***@******.*** but they can do that for you.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks jo appreciated.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you