How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A Thames Water contractor carried out works on a waterpipe

This answer was rated:

A Thames Water contractor carried out works on a waterpipe under the carriageway which included excavating the crossover in front of my drive and which blocked my vehicle in.
I was neither notified or given the opportunity to move my car from the curtilage of my property and was unable to use the car for 4 days including the weekend when I use it for leisure purposes.
Thames water have offered me £100 as a good will gesture. However the hire a similar car to mine would have cost at least £600
I do not have an invoice of a hire vehicle but can I claim anyway including for the inconvenience.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How much do you want to claim please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to claim £600.00
You need to write and set out your losses and request the £600 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,Given that I don't have a receipt / invoice as I didn't actually hire a replacement vehicle, do I have a legitimate claim which is likely lead to a positive outcome for me?
Yes you do have a claim
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,Thank you. You've been most helpful.
Happy to help.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you