How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

What would the law say/do if to parents are killed in a an

This answer was rated:

What would the law say/do if to parents are killed in a an accident, leaving a six year old and and an eighteen year old? Would the eighteen year old be allowed to take the place of the parent, and keep the younger child with her? If so, under what conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's 'two' parents, not to parents - sorry!
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
The 18 year old would be considered an adult and if they are able to provide good-enough care to the 6 year old throughout his/her upbringing then there should be no issue with the 6 year old being placed in their care under no conditions, but it would be wise for the 18 year old to consider making an application for a Child Arrangement Order for the child to reside with him/her.
Given that both parents have passed away, social services will assess the family unit and see if the 18 year old is able to consistently care for the child. If not they will have to look at alternative placements, initially within the wider family and if not possible then possible foster placements.
Please rate positive if you found this information helpful.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you