How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My dad died after moving his girlfriend in to his home 5 weeks

This answer was rated:

my dad died after moving his girlfriend in to his home 5 weeks before. The house has been left to me and I said his girlfriend that I would give her £7000 to help to cost of moving and she could stay for 6 months. She now has come back to say she wants £25000 to move out.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor an will assist you.
Please may I ask:
- did they marry?
- did your dad provide for her in his will or any rights to occupy?
- has she paid any rent?
- had they lived together as man and wife for more than 2 years?
- has she contributed towards the mortgage, paid a deposit of added value to the house through renovation?
- whose name was the house in?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiSorry for the delay - this went to my work email. The answer to the first 5 questions is no and the house was in his name.
Thank you for your response and confirming that for me.
The girlfriend has no rights to your fathers property at all and she cannot make a claim under the Trust of Land Act or the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependants. The only entitlement that she has is any belongings she may have or any furniture/ chattels she has purchased.
It therefore follows that your offer is more than generous.
If the girlfriend doesnt agree and you are not willing to offer any more - keep notifying as to when you expect her to move out. If she doesnt go - then break the locks - and change them so that she cannot acces the property. You can then agree a time and date for her to collect her belongings - you should tell her to to do this under police escort so that they can supervise.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our time
ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you