How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1494
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My son is the claimant and I am the defendant. He is seeking

Customer Question

My son is the claimant and I am the defendant. He is seeking to seek to recover his costs of approx £15,000 for bringing his complaint to court - scheduled for 11.30, Wednesday 18th November in Newcastle Crown Court.
His complaint is that having been a Bare Trustee of 4 properties that I own. 3 of the 4 properties have been sold satisfactorily. The final property is on the market to be sold, but my son wishes to 1 End his Bare Trustee status; 2 Have control of the sale to redeem the mortgage, which is in his name and pay for his legal costs in bringing this case to court.
Should I instruct a solicitor to represent me in court?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
I must tell you that I do not specialise in property and trust law, however I would like to provide you with assistance in respect of obtaining representation at court.
It is not widely known amongst the general public - but it is possible to instruct a barrister to assist you directly at court. This is a recent change as it was previously only possible to instruct a barrister if you went through a Solicitor.
This is known as direct access. This can save you significant costs as you are not duplicating any work - you no longer have to pay the middle man.
There are lots of chambers that undertake direct access work and you can often speak to the barrister themselves in advance - tell them about your case and get a quote for assisting you.
Below you will find details of some chambers that cover Newcastle Court:
You will notice that some of the chambers have out of hours access numbers. Don't be afraid to give them a call. The clerks are always very helpful and will recommend a good barrister in their chambers.
Costs in these types of cases normally follow the event so if you do lose you could be looking at a big bill - it therefore really is worth while getting a few direct access quotes. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly suprised at a reasonable quote when a solicitor is not also instructed. It is of course also possible to seek your legal costs be reimbursed if you are the successful party - so your legal costs could be recovered.
I hope this assist you.
Kind Regards