Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only

I've bought a car I received a receipt showing

I've bought a car for which I received a receipt showing that the transaction has been successful. now, over a month since then I received a phone call from the seller that the money never went into his account. I've checked my account and the money is there. what can be done ? do I need to pay the outstanding money? who's fault is it?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this a private sale and are you saying you have not paid for the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have bought the car from a dealer, to which I have payed for the car with my card and received a receipt
Ok but are you saying that for some reason the payment did not leave you bank account so you have not, in fact, paid for the car ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
basically the receip says I have payed for it but the money never left my account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok when did you make the payment and have you spoken to the bank about why it did not leave your account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we even had to go thru authorisation process due to the big transfer and even got a authorisation nr from the bank to process the payment, therefore the receip was printed
Ok but when did you make the payment? and has the bank explained to you why this has happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this happened last month on the 10th.10.2015 from what I remember. I haven't spoken to the bank, that is why I am asking you for advice. if the receipt show a valid transaction but the money didn't got transferred, do I still need to transfer the money now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am legally the owner of the car at the moment but the money haven't got transferred. am I legally obligated to pay the money?
Ultimately you will need to pay for the car if a mistake has been made and the money has not gone through. You are not entitled to benefit from a mistake either made by the bank or the dealership.
Before making the transfer I would suggest you do talk to your bank about this to ensure that the money won't go out at a later date as it is strange if there was pre-authorisation for this to occur.
If you do not pay then the dealership can take you to the small claims court to recover the money. The fact that you have a receipt will not assist you if the money has not gone from your account.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?