How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have 2 questions relating to family law (dispute) how much would the advice cost? My

This answer was rated:

I have 2 questions relating to family law (dispute) how much would the advice cost?
My husband died from a brain tumour. 2 months before he died he asked me to deal with finances. I did this and asked my eldest son to destroy some of his old bank statements which were 16 years old. Since then my other son has said what I did was illegal and I should have had power of attorney. Is this correct?
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Just a bit more information required -
What exactly did you do with the finances?
Why were the bank statements destroyed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I continued to pay the household bills and the statements were destroyed because they were 16 years old and of no use
Thank you.
A power of attorney is required in order to deal with financial affairs of someone who is unwell to do so themselves. Financial affairs would be matters such as managing their money, investments, bank accounts, buying or selling property on their behalf and claiming or managing their benefits.
Technically the bank statements should not have been destroyed as they were your late husband's documents but it would have been an issue that your husband would have to raise as it is his documents, and not for your other son.
Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the amount of £43 include a response to my second (last) question?
Sorry, what is the second question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can a son over rule his Mother regarding the care of his Father and subsequent funeral arrangements? If the answer to this incurs further charges I do not wish to proceed?
That's fine - happy to answer this too.
If your husband left a will, then he would have named executor's who will deal with the estate and funeral arrangements.
If no will was made, and you cannot agree within the family who will be the executor then you take precedents as his spouse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That's all thanks.
Thanks and good luck. Please do come back if you have any questions in the future.