How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10973
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am owed money by a Will Trust can I sue the Trust or should

This answer was rated:

I am owed money by a Will Trust can I sue the Trust or should l sue the Trustees ?
1. You sue the trustees if the trust owes you money. The trustee might have been unhelpful, but they are correct in that you cannot sue the trust, you must sue the trustees as the trust only acts via the trustees as it has no independent personality in law from the trustees. So I would suggest you get a solicitor to draft proceedings against the Will Trust and sue the trustees as the named trustees of the trust. Alternatively, you can issue the legal proceedings yourself against the trustees. However, it might be better to get professional help as you will get your legal costs paid if you win. Be aware that the trustees have a personal right of indemnity from the trust assets for any claim you make against them. So, don't think the trustees will personally be paying up.
2. Please RATE the Answer as your Expert receives none of the monies you have paid the website unless your Rate the answer, so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you