How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can i patent a product in the u.k that already has a U.S p

This answer was rated:

can i patent a product in the u.k that already has a U.S patent
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you checked to see if the product has a UK-registered patent too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and we don't believe it has.
If a patent is registered in the US then that wold provide protection only within the territory of the United States. You can get confirmation of this from the United States Patent and Trademark Office here: It means that if the inventor wanted the patent to be protected in the UK they should have registered it with the Intellectual Property Office. If they have not, it is possible to register it first and claim patent rights in this county. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you i will rate. Just one more thing, is there a website for the intellectual property office which would show if they have registered thank you.
Thank you. Yes there is: