How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6463
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

My name is ***** ***** i bought a new car last year which

This answer was rated:

Hello my name is ***** ***** i bought a new car last year which allway have a problem. My dpf filter is getting blocked every time and when i go to the Vauxhall dealer in staples corner everythin what they do is to ask me to do the service of the car. The car have 18800 miles and I've done 2 services by now and an oil change. First time the service was done at 5000 mile and in the service book they write 18000 which is a big mistake. My problem is that 2 years ago i had another car from them and i never had any problems with that dpf filter. Do you know what i can do to fix that problem once for all? Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you asked the garage to replace the filter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but they don't want. They sayd that i have to do the service
Ok you have rights under the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1979 to have a car that is 'fit for purpose' and is of 'satisfactory quality'. You should not be out of pocket as a result of a part that is clearly not of satisfactory quality for the age of the vehicle. You should write to them and ask them to refund the extra money you have spent on servicing and ask them to repair the car/ replace the filter, you should say if they refuse you will get the work done and claim for your losses under the Act in the County Court. You should give them 7 days to come back to you with a proposal for refunding your money and making the repair. Hopefully that will make them see fit to sort the matter out. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That means if they don't want to fix the problems i can send them to court?
Yes it does. You can take them to court for the cost of the repair. You can do so online at if you inform them of your intention then they will repair it and it will not be necessary. If you have any more questions please ask, otherwise I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as a last question because is difficult for me to understand the things can you please write me the steps as i should do. Thank you
1. Write to the garage to say you have taken legal advice and you have rights under the Sale of Goods and Services Act to have a car of satisfactory quality and that is fit for the purpose. The fact that the Filter is not working properly is in breach of the act. You should ask them to refund the money you have paid for the service and to repair the car for free. You should state that if they do not agree to do that you will have no alternative but to bring a claim. You should give them 7 days to respond. 2. If they do not agree you can then raise a claim at
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. Everything is very helpful and easy. thank you again and have a nice day
No problem, please do remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you