How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in Crown Property and have been the tenant since 1971.

Customer Question

I live in Crown Property and have been the tenant since 1971. The property has been managed over the years by various Companies. I have recently been informed that I have an arrear of £277.61 dating back to 2006! This is the first time I have known about this and dispute that I have ever had any arrears. I have requested Bank Statements from my Bank to show that I have always paid my rent.
However, is there a 'cut off' point (in years) for arrears to be claimed? Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes the Limitation Act 1980 provides that any breach of contract can only be actioned within 6 years. Therefore the debt if it was in 2006 comes statute barred in 2012. Unless the contract is executed by a Deed then it is 12 years and becomes barred in 2018. So you need to check your agreement to see if it says executed by a Deed. If not its 6 years and out of time.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: